Registration and re-registration
Registration and re-registration are done at the secretariat of the Lycée des Arts et Métiers.
19, rue Guillaume Schneider, L-2522 Luxembourg (Tel: 46 76 16 -1).
Registration takes place in two stages: pre-registration and final registration.
For the next academic year’s registration schedule, please consult the calendar.
The conditions of admission to the BTS are regulated by articles 10 to 13 of the law of 19th June 2009 on the organisation of higher education.
Registration procedures are regulated by articles 1 to 5 of the Grand-Ducal Regulation of 23rd February 2010 on the organisation of studies and the promotion of students in courses leading to the obtaining of the certificate of higher technician. A summary is shown here.
In order to participate in the BTS Game Art and Game Design (BTSag) supplementary conditions and admission exam, pre-registration is required. The following registration form is to be used and the list of documents to be submitted can be downloaded here LAM_BTS_Fiche_Inscription. To pre-register, please both
- hand in a paper copy of your file to the secretariat of the LAM and
- send a digital copy of the file as a single PDF file containing your complete file to firstname.lastname@example.org. Both forms are mandatory. Please use your own email account because it will be used for any further communication.
In order to be admitted in the BTSag any student must:
- fulfil the conditions described in articles 10 to 13 of the law of 19th June 2009 on the organisation of higher education
- have submitted a pre-registration application in due form in accordance with the set regulations
- have passed the admission examination*
- be ranked among the first 12 candidates of the admission examination
- have confirmed his / her registration for the registration deadline by completing the registration form (e.g. final study title in case of second session)
- have paid the required registration fees.
The student admitted to the admission examination who does not fulfill their obligation of the registration before the deadline, automatically gives way to the next candidate on the waiting list.
*Should the number of candidates exceed the number of places available in the course, the admission examination will be used as a competition examination.
Registration fees are collected for each semester. The current amount is set at € 100 per semester.
The amount is to be transferred to the following bank account:
Beneficiary: Trésorerie de l’Etat SEGS, Lycée technique des Arts et Métiers
Account number: IBAN LU94 1111 2338 5787 0000
Bank Code (BIC): CCPLLULL
Communication: Your name, first name / BTS-AG / Semester
During the course of studies, registration must be renewed for each semester. The deadlines for re-registration are the same as the registration dates. The re-registration form must be submitted by the deadline date to the LAM secretariat.
The “practical test” will take place on the morning of the first day of the examination. The interview will take place on the second day of examination. The exact times will be communicated in due time to the interested candidates. The date of the admission exam is to be found in the key dates section of this website.
The examination is used to test whether the candidate has the required knowledge for the training. It includes the following tests:
- a practical test in drawing from imagination; model-sheet (character design), perspective drawing of environment, a written part in English on “explanatory description and storytelling” aimed at measuring the creative skills, the logical and linguistic thinking capacity of the candidates.
- an interview (oral test) in English in front of a jury to check the interest of the candidate for the training and the basic artistic skills necessary for the future profession. During this interview, the personal portfolio and the practical test are used as a complement to check the candidate’s skills.
Each test is worth 20 marks.
A candidate will be placed on a “pre-admitted” list if they have passed each test with a minimum of 10 marks (in each test).
In case of equality of points between one or more candidates, the ad hoc committee will take a decision on the basis of the documents submitted with the application in order to proceed to a classification.
The ad hoc committee renders its verdict by establishing two lists as follows:
- The N first candidates in the ranking (N being the number of free places in the training) are entered on the final registration list.
- The remaining pre-admitted candidates are listed in the order of their ranking on the waiting list.
If there are M available places of study or if there are M who are released before the beginning of the training cycle (e.g. following a withdrawal, since the admission decisions in BTSag may fall before results of the BAC) the first M candidates on the waiting list are entered on the final registration list.
A placement test may be requested from students if there is doubt as to the level of knowledge of the required languages based on the documents submitted during registration. This test serves to detect language deficiencies. It will remain the student’s responsibility to work on any weaknesses.
The decisions and results are published in the display case at LAM. No decision and no results will be communicated via telephone or published on the website.
The decisions of the ad-hoc commission are without appeal except those provided for in article 2 (1) of the law of 7th November 1996 on the organisation of administrative jurisdictions.
As the BTS Game Art course lasts two years, certain artistic and technical skills are required before starting.
The candidate must:
- Be able to draw in perspective using two or more vanishing points background
- Be able to draw simple human figures with the correct proportions from imagination
- Be able to apply fundamentals of light, shadow and reflectivity and use color to suggest an atmospheric ambience
- Be able to write a descriptive text in English
The candidate must:
- Have used a 3D modeling software (Maya, 3DS Max, Cinema 4D, Blender, …)
- Be able to use basic modeling tools to create extrusions, insert edge loops, shape faces, edges and vertices on a 3D model.
- Be able to model simple 3D props (see images)
- Be able to apply materials (shaders) to 3D objects and change color and specularity properties on said materials.
- Be capable of using Photoshop (manipulating layers, working with color correction, saving files in different formats…)
- Be capable of using Illustrator to draw basis shapes for games (manipulating layers, drawing shapes, using color and color guide …)
Software (Autodesk Maya, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, …) can be downloaded for a 1-month free trial. Free tutorials for beginners can help getting started.
The skills should be shown in the Portfolio for the admission exam.